Dec 5, 2010

Feather Wreath

Hello everyone!  Jeez, I've really been slackin' on my blogging the past couple of weeks.  I hate when I don't write for long periods of time.  I'd love to post a new project everyday but it's kinda tough to work on projects during the work week - I'm sure a lot of you can relate.  And my garage is getting harder to work in now that winter is in full swing and the temperature has been in the 30's.  Brrrrrr. 

But the good news is that even though I wasn't blogging during the past two weeks, I've been keeping quite busy with some fun projects.  Also, I always manage to check in daily with all my favorite websites and blogs to read about what's going on...because we all know good ideas, projects, DIY work and home decorating NEVER sleeps.  Thank goodness for that. 

Tonight I want to share one of several projects I've recently completed, a feather wreath.  I didn't hang a wreath on our front door last year because I couldn't find one I loved.  Also, I was so busy with our bathroom makeover and other odds and ends around the house that finding time to make one wasn't an option.  I decided yesterday morning to make it happen this year after spotting some old faux wreaths at an estate sale. 

Here it is!  Isn't it gorge?  If you want all the details on how I created this beauty, keep on reading...
Welcome to the Steins! 
As you can see above, our cluster of town houses was chosen to have pink doors.  I HATE them.  A neighbor started a petition to have them painted this past summer (heard we got the approval from the board and all) but that's the last I've heard.  If it were up to me I'd have painted our door, and all the neighbors doors for that matter, by now. 

I wanted to work with the pink door and make something that tied in the color, hoping that as a result the door would like a little nicer.

Materials Used:
  • Wreath - $4.19
  • Small Bells - $3.59
  • Small Ornaments Balls - $3.49
  • Ribbon - $.50
  • Glittered Leaves - $3.78
  • Faux Berries - $.98
  • 7 Bags of White Feathers - $11.13
  • Hot Glue Gun (had)
Grand Total:  $27.66
These are the material I chose to use.  As you can see, I went with pinks, golds and purples.

I chose a straw wreath because it was this or a Styrofoam one.  The straw wreath was heavier and I thought this would be better because I didn't want my wreath to fly off the door.

I used a hot glue gun to glue the feathers around the wreath.  I found the best way to glue was to lay the wreath flat.  Because my wreath was going to hang flat on my front door, it wasn't necessary to glue feathers all the way around.  Depending on where you put yours, you may or may not want to do this too. 

First step is to glue the feathers.  I found what worked best was to cover one small area (about 2"x 2") at a time with glue and then press about 3-4 feathers (feather pointing upward) into the glue.  This was repeated until one a full row of feathers covered the wreath. 

Then, I continued gluing the feathers row by row.  Determining how far you should space each row will depend on how fluffy and full you want your wreath to look.  For mine, I put glue at the bottom of the feathers from the previous row (shown below) and then pressed a new row of feathers about an inch below where the previous row ended. 

The image below shows the wreath after about six rows of feathers.  Making progress.  I continued to glue rows of feathers all the way around until there was only about 4 inches of the straw wreath visible. 

Next, I used the remaining 4 inches of straw space to play around with my berries and glittered leaves.  I cut a bunch of pieces off in order to get just the right amount of glittered bling.  Once I knew exactly how I wanted the leaves and berries to lay, I globbed a bunch of hot glue onto the bare straw area and began pressing my decorations firmly into the glue.  

After giving the glue some time to dry I glued feathers around the berries and leaves and then continued on until the straw wreath wasn't visible any longer.
 

I linked a couple bells and ornaments onto a piece of ribbon and tied the ribbon into a tight knot so that they would bunch together in a nice arrangement.   Make sure you cut the ribbon long enough to tie around the wreath.

When I knew where I wanted to place the bell and ornament arrangements on the wreath, I used the remaining ribbon and wrapped it around to the back of the wreath and tied a knot (shown below).  I felt this was the best way to add the arrangements because I can always change them up next year or move them around if I chose - without ruining the feathers.  One quick snip with scissors and the arrangements will come right off. 



Finally, I tied a thicker, shinier ribbon around the top to use for hanging my wreath.  The whole project was completed from start to finish in about an hour and a half. 
Feather wreaths at HomeGoods right now are going for $25-35. 

So pretty
So shiny

So fabulous.  Loving the glitter bling and soft colors




This tutorial is partying with the best of them at
Weekend Bloggy ReadingThe DIY Show Off 
Photobucket

UndertheTableandDreaming PhotobucketThe DIY Show Off


15 comments:

Judy @ In His Grip said...

This is so wonderful. I really like the pink. Come on over to "In His Grip" and check out all of my pink.

Stephanie@cre8tive said...

That is so pretty. I just linked up to tatertots and jello's party and saw your wreath and thought for sure you bought a feather wreath and put the decorations on it. I can not believe you put all the feathers on it yourself. Just adorable! I hope you get your door petition approved. What is nice about the white feathers, is that next year you can just add a new color that will go with your new door!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Feathers? Bling? What's not to love?? ;) Please add a link back to me!!

Roeshel said...

Beautiful job! I love it! Thanks so much for sharing! Great tutorial too!

Roeshel

Michelle @ Sweet Something Design said...

What a fun wreath!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

I LOVE it!! It's just my style -- beautiful, whimsical and fun!

xox
Jen

Reenie said...

LOVE it!!! Great job :)

Michelle@Sustainably Chic Designs said...

LOVE this!!! Thanks for the inspiration!

http://sustainablychicdesigns.blogspot.com/

Morgan @ PepperDesignBlog.com said...

Beautiful colors!! Love the feathers :).

Kate Riley said...

Oooooh pretty! I love the whispery white feathers and the colorful bling, gorg!
xo
Kate

stacey said...

aaaah I LOVE this!! love the bright colors! I'm so not a typical green & red kinda girl when it comes to christmas. :)

AmericKim said...

ohhhhh, love the wreath. The feathers are beautiful and bling is always a girl's favorite thang.

nicolette {momnivores dilemma} said...

feathers and bling?

we are of the same ilk.

there's so much bling in my home this year...i have to wear my sunglasses at night.

please hook up to Creative Juice Thursday if you are so inclined...


http://momnivoresdilemma.blogspot.com/2010/12/creative-juice-thursday-take-two.html


<3
nicolette

Wypipo...Sigh... said...

I so have a thing for wreaths...love this!

allsocute said...

wooooww! thanks for sharing!