Oct 24, 2010

Stenciled Curtains

I couldn't wait to share this mini-makeover with you.  After the stencil project I did on our back door, found here, I knew that I'd be temporarily obsessing over stencils.  I immediately started thinking about what else I could stencil away.  And that's when I began wandering around the house, staring at random items and furniture, trying to come up with a good stenciling idea.  I walked into our guest bedroom and looked around for a moment.  Got it!  The curtains in the guest bedroom were just so drab and borrrrr-ring.  Wouldn't you agree?  So that was it. The guest bedroom curtains it was.
The curtains used in this project are very basic (inexpensive too) and you can score them at IKEA for just $19.99.  Once you've got your curtains picked out, here's what else you'll need:
  1. Craft Knife  ($4)
  2. Overlay Film ($9 for a whole book.  If you're crafty, a DIYer and creative I'd suggest you buy the whole book.  Trust me, it'll get used!)
  3. Fabric Paint  ($2 each - I used 5)
  4. Sponge or roller brush  ($2)
  5. Double-sided Tape  ($4)
  6. Ruler
First, I cut the lining out of the curtains.  This won't make a difference in how the curtains will look.  I found that doing this made it easier to flatten the fabric and keep everthing straight while stenciling. 

Next, I did an "image" search on Google for "stencil patterns."  I found a pattern I liked, expanded the image to a good size and printed it out.

I traced the pattern on a peice of clear overlay film and used a craft knife to cut it out. 
Because my pattern isn't solid, I had to do an additional cut in the center of the stencil.  This important step gave me the mini stencil [I'll refer to this as the "star"] shown below in my left hand.  

If I were to paint the big stencil above, without the "star" in the center, I'd get a solid pattern- which I didn't want

Then, I took quick measurements on the curtain to ensure my patterns would be evenly spaced. After that, I placed double-sided tape all around the back of the stencil- really getting in close to the stencil's edges.  This was very helpful in keeping the stencil in place and pressed tight against the fabric.

Finally, I was ready to paint away.   

I used the end of a pen to put pressure on the stencil.  This helped adhere the tape to the fabric.

Here's the stenciling in progress:

My suggestion is to use a sponge brush because they are super easy to work with. I'm not sure I would have achieved these results with a roller brush- they can get really messy.


This is the first panel that I finished.  Pretty awesome! 

Overall, stenciling my curtains was fun, fast, easy-breezy and budget-friendly.  All said and done, this makeover cost $48.00 - WITH THE CURTAINS!!! 


Voila!!


 


This project partied with the best of them at:


18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm inspired!

By the way, it's voila, not wa-la. :)

Hilary said...

It's great to see how the curtains finally came out.
I also really like the shape of your bed in this photo.
Where did you get it?!

Kate Riley said...

That is awesome! Great tutorial, I love the final outcome! Looks like a feature in DIY magazine, fabulous!
xo
Kate

cleverlyinspired said...

I love these!!! Great inexpensive fix!!!!

Tiffany said...

These came out really nice!

Moms Crafty said...

Oh I love these! You and I share a passion for Ikea curtains (Ritva is my BFF) and the paint looks SO FAB! Would love for you to link up to us as well! Thanks for sharing the great idea!
Moms Crafty

Suzanne said...

Hi, Ray! I was pretty excited to find you by accident through the Better After blog today because:
1.) I have been considering some stenciling for kitchen window valances, and...
2.) I am a Newtowner, too!

Perhaps we even live in the same neighborhood. (?) :-)

We have some more things in common, too: This is also my first home and also a townhome; I see that we follow some of the same blogs; We like budget-friendly projects.

I had a chance to look at only some of your posts so far, but am really inspired and can only say I wish I were as thrifty and creative as you.

I am so thrilled to have found a decor blogger right here in my town. I look forward to seeing more of your posts.
Best,
Suzanne

Kelley said...

Saw these on Better After ... the pattern makes a huge difference. Love, love, love it!

Lori said...

Rachel, this is amazing...makes me wanna do something to my little house too!

LifestyleBohemia said...

These look gorgeous!

Love your blog & am your newest follower!
xx

Cathy said...

Really dramatic! I love them!

Melissa said...

Found you from Better after. What a great project!

ana @ i made it so said...

this is a great project, well done ray!

Brooke said...

I used this post as inspiration for my own stenciled curtains. I posted it on my blog Change It & Rearrange It and gave you credit. Thanks for the great idea!

http://changeitandrearrangeit.blogspot.com/2010/12/stenciled-curtains.html

Bella @ Bella before and after said...

So here is the post that got me here, saw this at tatertots and jello, and loved it. Great job on this girl. I really want to do this now, and I already have my curtains, so even better.

I host a weekly party **Amaze me AUgust**, would you like to share this girl??? Would love to have you, link up some of your awesome projects. :)

Also come say hello at my place, I am hosting my first giveaway, --100 followers finally-- and am celebrating by giving away SEVEN awesome prizes from some of my talented blog friends, to ONE lucky winner.

Oh and I am your newest follower, 2 more and you reach 100 too, he he. CONGRATS, your blog is awesome. !!!

Bella :)

Anonymous said...

It is very helpful!

Anonymous said...

learned a lot

Unknown said...

They look fabulous!! Thanks for the inspiration. I`ve featured this on my blog today! http://vixenmade.blogspot.com/2011/09/stenciled-curtains.html